Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Bureaucracy

Ok so they think you’ve got what it takes to possibly make it in their oh so glamorous organization.. You do your bit.. you study on your freaking plane ride home… avoid daydreaming about all the good times you’re supposed to instantaneously forget and focus on whats to come… you memorize all the useless crap that people at the company supposedly know! You become a cow munching on the information just long enough to spew it out during the interview.. Regurgitation! What is it with baby cows? Fols? I think that’s what they’re called…I mean really we think Egyptian kids with fathers who work for the big ass petroleum companies have it good? What’s to be said about the damn cows? The freaking cows! They get their food chewed for them for gods sake! So anyways I get all spiffy. Dress to impress so to speak and I think I know my shit! I’ve done the job before and my boss expressed her appreciation time and time again… I try to remain positive and completely forget the fact that I work for a place that places mucho points on seniority and well that I am a bottom feeder in that respect… I go into the interview and do my thing... the cocky smile, the I know I’m gods gift to all employers, the dance... I make the lame jokes! Oh god it’s the lame jokes that just eat away at my freaking existence! The smile behind which I’m thinking fuck the job just do me a favor and bend over so I can give your derriere something to remember me by. And I leave.. knowing I gave it my all and that she (the boss) knows that I know out of the bunch except the one with a gazillion years experience that I deserve the job. But bureaucracy takes its toll and these are just hoops that we jump through… I remember having a conversation with the big boss woman a million years ago.. ok so maybe it wasn’t a million year ago but more like 3 months ago, about how I wanted my contract extended and how she said.. we’ll post a position soon but so and so wants it. I gotta give mrs so and so credit where its due I mean the woman did manage the team for 12 months she knows her shit but its not the fact that she’s getting it that’s pissing me off it’s the mockery they make of the freaking interview process! Why stress me out with an oral and a written and further agitate me by having to shoot the shit with you folk if you already know who you ‘re going to give it to!
Why tantalize me with the notion of an opportunity only to confirm that you’re going to give it to her?!
Why?! Like I said I’ve got nothing against the woman... she’s really sarcastic, which is always a plus in my books. She’s even invited me to a shindig at her place… I am a good sport… and I can accept defeat its just… oh god wait… I’m a bitcher and a moaner! Who am I kidding? I’ve become one of those can’t be happy for people sorts!
NOOOO !
wait a minute!
This isn’t about her as a person!
This is about the concept! The idea of an interview selection process that supposedly has no preset outcome being rigged! Point is ! I feel cheated used and left to dry! Is this what prostitutes feel like when they’ve done their bit and their pimp cleans them out for all their juice? Hmm I wonder!? Ok stay focused!
Bottom line is it sucks! Being punished for something you can’t help.. I hope to god they prove me wrong and not jade me with the thorns of bureaucracy.

No comments: