Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hal yokhfa al kamar?

The wish to celebrate a festival with which I can identify has finally come true. A people as a whole rejoicing for all the same reason… their reason… my reason… our reason… A euphoria caused by both the sense of ownership and belonging. A spiritual rejuvenation. I anxiously anticipate the sound of the Adan fluttering through the air echoing words that inspire believers to unite in place whose prime virtue is attributed to its magnificent acoustics. A treat both for my ears and my soul. Prostration, emancipation, retribution and redemption combined. Its strange that just by crossing the Atlantic the moon’s identity is transformed from one of lunacy and horror to that of love and beauty. As I cross over the large body of ocean so to will I be transformed from a Canadian Arab to an Arab Canadian. The moon marks the beginning for me…. The beginning of adventure… the beginning of joy… the beginning of belonging… the beginning of celebration and the beginning of Eid as I’ve never known it before!

2 comments:

If at first said...

Or perhaps, as you've always known it to be.
Go safely, and return safely, inshaAllah. In His Ever-Merciful Shade. They say, the du'a of a traveler is powerful. Remember me, mine and my affairs in your thoughts as you journey across the Atlantic.

Anonymous said...

Philosophical, Poetic, Simple to Convey but Only a Few Know What it Feels Like!