Saturday, October 14, 2006

Babel


check out the trailor here

On my way into see trailer park boys today, yes I went to see that crap… don’t ask me why, I caught glimpse of this poster and was immediately captivated by its brilliance. A definite must see!
Not only is it directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu the man who directed Amores perros and 21 grams but it also features the motorcycle diaries’ Gael Garcia and fight club’s Brad Pitt. Besides the obvious fact that Brad Pitt and Gael Garcia are a sure way to bring hoards of people into the theatres, I thought the name was also sheer genius. The movie about the barriers of language and the misscomunications that arise in a world where as humans our basic need for shelter, safety, food and love are essentially the same if not identical. The first obvious observation was the phonetic similarity of the name Babel to the verb to babble. Defined as: To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds 2.to talk foolishly or idly; chatter: 3. To make a continuous low, murmuring sound, as flowing water. Not only that but babel is also the Arabic and Hebrew name for the city of Babylon. A city described in the bible, from my understanding and limited research skills, as a city where God confounded a presumptuous attempt to build a tower into heaven by confusing the language of its builders into many mutually incomprehensible languages. I only hope the movie has as much thought behind it as its title. Oct 27th I find out.

5 comments:

WS said...

you will not believe that i am one of the biggest fans of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu , I have learned a lot from his films and have all his movies in my dvd collection, hope this film will be put in my collection too,and 2 years ago...in a special screening in europe I have seen his beautifully directed episode in the film 11'09'01 which will blow anyone's mind...one of the best directors out there.

If at first said...

Oooh, sounds like an interesting one...such a play on words and fascinating historical link.
Cinimini.
PS. Lets do something for Eid...missing ya and you live like less than 20 min away!

Sand-E said...

wallad shab: a friend of mine introduced me to some of his stuff and ever since I've been addicted. What has he taught u?

Cinimini: You've resorted to leaving me comments on blog?! phone dudette phone! I'll call u soon inshallah. Eid sounds like good times.

If at first said...

OmA! Sand-esez responds to a blog comment! ;)

WS said...

As an independent film director I have learnt a lot from his style of editing and creativeness.