Thursday, November 09, 2006

Jester’s “ monthly ranting” coincided with some of the things floating around in my head lately and instead of leaving a long winded comment on the poor fellow’s blog, I've decided to post it here.

Side note: I hope jester is in fact a fellow... me thinks my memory serves me correct and he is... but if not then I hope she forgives me for the whole heshe bit.

My cousin held a birthday party at some fancy shmancy coffee shop where they served alcohol whilst my parents were on vacation in Egypt last week. Upon their arrival, in our casual exchange of what went down while they were away, they made mention that a small part of my cousin's guest list included girls who were veiled. They told us how, after the party got underway, the owner of the place approached the two girls and asked them to leave. This of course instigated a lot of aggression from the guys who in turn ruined the evening for my cousin, the girls, and the owner in an all too typical brute 3alaya w 3ala 2a3da2y fashion ( which I guess best translates into kamikaze mission). The discussion naturally became about whether or not their actions were justified and inevitably about the owner’s right to ask the girls to leave with a “we serve alcohol here and this is no place for you”. I found it strange that I could, on some level, identify with both parties. On the one hand I could understand that this was a private establishment and on that basis one could argue when in Rome do as the Romans do or better still and more to the point "my house my rules". Just like certain places have a dress code whether it be the basic shirt required, the no jeans or even the snootier suit and tie required I found it generally acceptable that this man control the type of attire his clientele bring into his establishment. Question then is...are we being over sensitive just because the scarf is in itself a symbol of religion? And on that note did the 6pack boys react the way they did because they intrinsinclly object to the owner’s re-enforcement of the all too familiar faulty inequality ,higab != shiyaka/ more loosely modern thinking that exists in Egyptian society0 today or was this just a misguided display of who is bigger than who?
But on the other hand I am enraged by the fact that a country packed to the brim with people who take Islam on as a faith of their own would allow such behavior. I mean really how disappointing is it when people who don’t embrace the practice are being shunned for their actions, namely France, while this sort of madness is going on at home? I think what this whole scarf thing boils down to, as a friend of mine pointed out, is that being a higabi is a part of who you are just as is being of color, Middle Eastern descent or short. Shouldn’t there be rules and regulations to prevent this sort of thing? With all that mess out of the way…What then is to be said of mean coffeeshop owner’s assumed position of piety? Who is he to say to a higabi or a non higabi where she should or should not be? Is it not her decision? And since when did religion become something between two people? Last I checked it wasn’t this umbrella that gave every tom dick or Harry a carte Blanche to pass judgment, preach and control!? But I think if nothing else this thought experiment has tought me that there are 2 sides to the coin.

2 comments:

Jester said...

Hey Sandy,

Do u mind that I call you Sandy?! First off, yes I'm a dude..at least last time I chekced, hey you never know in this crazy topsy turby world, I mean Kafka woke up a cocroach, so anything's possible! I frequently find myself writing long comments on other people's blogs, I'm afraid this might be one of those cases.

Second, and you'll appreciate this, I was booking a place for a friend's Bachelor party so I picked some sheeshy place by the Nile. Anyway, I call them up and ask to make a reservation for 30 people, the guy asks "Coubles?", I think be patient, "Ya3ni mish mota2akkid", "7adritak lazim coubles" so I give him what he wants "Howwa fi banat aktar min riggala kowayis kida?"..."Okee, fi minimum charge 50 bounds..wi mamnoo3 mo7agabbat" at this point I just spontaneously crack up and can't stop laughing for about a whole minute. The guy on the line isn't entertained "Heyya di elrulz sa33atak"...Anyway, as I didnt know everyone coming I asked if the garden had the same rules and he said "Garden okee". I have no idea why I reacted the way I did, I've heard about places banning veiled girls, I even remember having lame conversations about veiled women at pubs and night clubs and whether it means they're hypocrites or just goin through a phase, making a statement or something. Point is I thought I was ready for a remark like this one, at least I thought I was, but hearing it made it sound all the more insane, ludicrous and just mad funny...not Monty Python funny, Terry Gilliam's Brazil funny...tis mad I tell you tis mad!

Oh, I was trying to make a point and forgot...I think banning veiled women from a specific secular setting is biggoted. Although I will say that it's an interesting notion to discuss further.

Sand-E said...

Sandy is cool... tis after all me but, do feel free to insert a grunting growling etfu on top of you noise directed at olivia newton. MAAaaaa 3alina kalakee3 aside...

You should have called Susan Powter in to flex her neck muscles and "stop the insanity" I’m totally getting visuals now….hahaha... ohhhh I crack me up.

But seriously I think hearing something like that would just royally piss me off. And you're absolutely right it is EXTREME BIGGOTRY.