Wednesday, March 15, 2006

New in the world of me…

Today and for the past 3 months my job has been to purchase a photocopier. Simple enough one might think, I’m not even purchasing it really I’m leasing it. My boss comes up to me and goes: “We need it not to break down, and to staple, sort and hole punch” I figure ok not a problem… I can do some research make up some pretty graphs and done…a gazzilion offers later… I am a photocopier guru… anything u need I’m your woman… I know it all from copies per minute to added network support to printing to sorting to faxing to fucking flying across the office showering all the naïve employees with rains of paper… If you want your copier to sing and dance... I’m the woman to guide you through it…. Plug in a cable here press this and that button there and your copier is doing the salsa… nooo?! You don’t like the salsa… the muchata perhaps? Not a problem…. A tweak in the instructions and you’re set!

Either way… its been a bitch of a project… so FINALLY today I’ve got my pretty colorful graphs my eloquently worded business case, my quotes, my price comparisons and a rock solid argument that the copier I picked is the one that’s right for us… All I need is a signature… A simple twitch or jerk of the wrist and the living hell that I’ve called my everyday can now… at long last... end… My manager flips through the pages…. Seems impressed with the aesthetics of it all… she’s going hmmm uhuh… yeah ok… and just as she’s about to sign she goes… but I’ve heard bad things about X company… lets not go with this one … lets go with Y instead… And I’m sitting there absolutely awestruck at how simple it was… just like that… all the research all the time spent actually trying to get the best for our needs and dollar… gone… pooof… flew out the window… and I think.. “I thought It was called a ‘competitive process’… why are we making these companies think they have a chance at getting our business if at the end of the day someone is just gonna waive their hand go I like that one!” Now you see…. I’m presented with a moral dilemma… My research shows one thing and she wants me to go with another…. Do I do what she says and thank god that the project has been taken off my hands? Or do I kick up a fuss and defend my copier to the death?! It irks me… growing up you’re always taught this isn’t fair that isn’t right…. And when you’re out in the real world what happens? The fabric of your moral code is shot to shit with something as simple a copier! A FUCKING COPIER GODDAMN IT!
Why the act? Why the need to teach us wrong from right? Why not just tell us listen this is how we’d like things to go down but frankly speaking it’ll never happen! Soo this is the stuff u need to know…. We as a species suck! We crowd our children’s brains with morals rules and ideas just to give us something to do… Think about it! What would we do with all our free time if we didn’t concoct crap like this up….?!? UGH!

1 comment:

If at first said...

And the fact that my tax-dollars go to paying your salary...psch! Haha.

...

I prob woulda fought it out with her IF I had a good case. What copier is it btw...as an expert on photocopying, I'm curious to know..well you know with all the worksheets and jazz I copy daily!