Thursday, April 27, 2006

Sacré Blue!

Hoshi: Please introduce yourselves, tell us about where you work, your academic background and why you're here.

Me: My Name is Sandy, I graduated from U of T

I hear eclectic swooshes from heads turning to look in my direction. They're listening intently.

Me: I studied IT, Logic and philosophy
Gasp!

Me: I am currently working for the government
Stress Stress Stress in their eyes.

Me: And after 3 years of being out of school I just up and decided it was time to use my brain again. So here I am
Comfortable laughter mixed with confusion.

Why do the words UofT, IT ,Logic and philosophy combined have this effect on people? Confused and a little uncomfortable.
Come to think of it... people are always confused when those words come out of my mouth.
Pedro the Peruvian refuge raised in Guatemala illegally residing in Canada actually started to laugh as he nudged my shoulder with his elbow and said in his amicable accent "No really what did you go to school for?"
After yesterday I think I've figured it all out.
I'm the underachiever everyone always thought would overachieve. Rotting away at an age way too early to be rotting away at people can’t put two and two together. Its almost like I’ve been given the tools to save bloated tummied kids somewhere in Somalia but chose to make paperclip chains instead. Lovely isn’t it? Tis my destiny or my fate whatever suits your fancy. I’ve accepted and almost come to terms with it. Why won’t everyone else?

No comments: