Thursday, April 20, 2006

War of the roses AKA sexes

Bono’s Raspy voice blares out “One Love” I’m so happy to be out of the office and completley engulfed when Crazy Nice dude starts honking his horn like no tomorrow. He is flailing his arms in the air and I can’t really make any sense of it. There is no one behind me… I haven’t cut him off and I see no reason for him to ruin the debauchery associated with my favorite song. I ignore him and drive on only to find some other random woman screaming something in audible at me. I’m a patient woman but this had gone too far… I can see the need to be in a good mood cuz of the sunshine and all but really, why won’t they just let me enjoy the song.. So I roll down my window ready to tell dudette off… when I realize that her face is really really really red from, I assume all the yelling she’s been doing. Caught off guard I wait to see what she has to say
Pause… Pause… Pause…
“ You forgot to put the cap on your gas tank dumb ass!”
A good Samaritan at heart what could I have possibly said to the woman. I think…she’s obviously got sunstroke... I smile casually and say “thank you”. I’m about to dismiss her loco ass but it dawns on me that perhaps I should look out my window just to make sure.
“ARGH!” I was perfectly happy with crazy woman when she was just yanking my chain… why did she have to go and be right?
I’d filled up gas and in my hurry to make it back to work on time just simply forgot to put the cap back on all together… You must see that it takes a “special kind of person” to do this. Most people forget just the door to the gas tank open but no not me I forgotten both the actual lid itself and the door open. Some kind of friction or a spark could have made for more than singed eyebrows!

Anyways…No biggy no one was injured expect my self respect and pride maybe…
It brought me back to a passionate conversation Deenz and I had about how women drivers are the worst with a few exceptions. Deenz was horrified at my blatant subscription to stereotypes who she said were created by none other than zee males. I thought I had a well rounded argument. I could not make bold sweeping arguments but I claimed that I could judge based on my limited experience. Count the number of stupid moves in a real world scenario and you’ll see that most of them are caused by women. They’re a lot less aggressive. They’re often over taken and usually hesitate. But it is precisely that stereotype that feeds the fire Deenz explained. If you are a woman and you buy into it why shouldn’t the males? Does a kid who is solely picked on at school by a Tibetan monk have the right to say that they’re all violent people? Deenz was right on some level and defending my point of view was a little tricky when I’ve got no proof. Up until recently statistics measuring this sort of thing ruled in D’s favor. Statistics measured number of fatalities with respect to gender. Males were more involved in fatal accidents than were women. And so a conclusion based on evidence shows that women are the better drivers.

The flaw in all this however is that, I think men might drive way more than women, So the comparison doesn’t hold unless you compare the number of fatalities on a per km/mile basis. Stats Canada says that there is approximately 49% female drivers and 51 % male drivers and it tells you the number of accidents per gender but no where does it say how many trips are made or how many km are made by each gender.
The data in my opinion is misunderstood. If i've learnt nothing from my philosophy and logic days i know this much is true: you can mold and shape data findings to support any philosophical theory. I can’t find statistics on Stats Canada to support my point of view only because the data does not capture what it is that i want it to capture...So a bold statment on my part about all this would technically make my argument just as faulty...
I did however find this out dated article and though the source may be unreliable it is interesting none the less. If there is anyone out there that might know a thing or two about statistics and can be of any assistance please ring my bell.

No comments: